06 May 2009

Discussion: Loaded images/cactus&mexican

Now i had ideas on what to write about in connection to the image above but the more i thought about the picture the more i was confused what to write about. I started to realize all the layers the image contained.
The picture is a result of my work i'm doing and documenting towards my thesis show. One of the many individuals aiding me (which i am tremendously thankful towards) and friend is posing by the cactus in the picture. In a moment of "all work and no play" we decided to recreate the iconic representation of the sleeping Mexican leaning against the cactus. It was a funny moment that resulted in a great loose resemblance that i'm sure we will entertain us for some time.
Immediately i wanted to write about it on this blog  but that is where the confusion began. I didn't know weather to connect it to my current work in development or mention the humorous aspect that sparked the idea. There is definitely the stereotypical side that associates the portrayal with the idea of the lazy Mexican therefore creating a larger debate. This also bring up the many manifestations of the construction such as the statues that are sold as souvenirs and the dying industry of that form of manufacturing.
All this crept into my mind and more, not even mentioning the issues surrounding my work and that the Tijuana/ San Diego border wall is in the background, that in itself creates further discussion. Maybe i'm over analyzing it but that now became my question, thou the image was a break from the seriousness of the work moment we were engaged in but can an image be too loaded for simple enjoyment? Are there some representations that automatically create multiple meanings? I leave it up to you for discussion.

No comments: